Thursday, June 19, 2008

Misc.

Isaac has these big, beautiful blue eyes, and he always opens them one at a time. He's done this since birth. He'll open one eye and look around for a while, sometimes for almost a minute, like he's wondering if it's worth opening the other, if there's really anything out there worth seeing, and then he finally pries the other one open. Yesterday, while he was nursing, one eye was barely open a crack and the other completely shut, and I wasn't sure whether he was awake or not. So I sort of tugged at the cheek beneath the partially open eye to see if he would open it anymore. He didn't, but he peered up at me through his slit of an eyelid, and I swear his face said, "What the hell are you doing?"

I swear, every time I try to leave the house, I get to the car (sometimes I get in the car) before I realize I'm still wearing my house slippers. This has been going on since Isaac was born. It's worse now that I have slippers that are shaped like flip flops. A couple of weeks ago my mom and were going to go shopping, and once we were outside I realized I was still wearing my slippers. I went back inside to change my shoes and saw my shirt sitting on the recliner. I had forgotten to put my shirt on. I was wearing the nursing tank top I wear underneath everything, but that was it. I thought placenta brain went away once the baby was born, but it turns out it actually gets worse. So it seems I'll be an idiot for the rest of my life.

Isaac has been kicking and playing and laughing all morning. Usually in the mornings we watch all the baby shows on The Learning Channel, but I've realized I need to turn those off because every time some new mother brags that her perfect eight-week old is sleeping through the night, I want to throw something at the TV. We will keep watching Jon and Kate Plus 8, though, because I look at her and think, at one time, she had six newborns. Bless you, woman.

1 comment:

Shelly Collins said...

Thank you for sharing. That's hilarious and wierd about his eyes. I'm looking forward to seeing you back at work. You can come cry at my desk any time you need to...

I can sympathize with a no sleep baby, Wilder was the same way. There's hope, he's a great sleeper now. Just don't have another baby in a few months ok!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online