Friday, June 20, 2008

First Day of Summer, Last Day of Leave

Today is my last day of maternity leave, not counting the weekend. I want to do something special with Isaac to celebrate it, but the more I think about it, the best thing we could do is relish our time together. So, today, I will not get frustrated when he gets fussy. I will hold and rock him as long as he wants without thinking about how tired I am. I will enjoy nursing him all day long, however often and however long he wants to, because, after this, it'll be bottles five days a week. I will not worry about the dishes or the laundry, about the sticky counter tops, the dirty floors or the dust bunnies in the corner. Today I will turn off the TV and devote every ounce of my attention to my little man. When he falls asleep, I will cuddle up next to him and nap alongside. I will not think about what I am going to miss while I am at work, and I will dote on every little smile, every squeak and squeal he makes while I am here. Today, nothing matters but spending time with my little man. I love you more than life, Isaac.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

I am crying. This is beautiful. You are a great mother, and the love that you have for your son is evident and heartwarming. You have inspired me to slow down and embrace Miles, for who he is. You are only going to grow as a mother, you may be surprised at how rich your relationship will become with some time away. Remember...it's the quality of your time together, not the quantity, and it appears, from this post, that you're on the right path, enjoying him for all he's worth. Thank you for sharing and for inspiring me to take notice of what is truly important.

Much love to you, and I can't wait to see you...it's been way too long! If you're not busy Sunday, maybe we could plan a play date?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online